Coronavirus – Covid 19 Useful Information

Financial Support

A great starting point for all sorts of financial information is provided by Martin Lewis at

If you are struggling financially, whether in work or not, there is a variety of support available. To check what is available and if you are eligible visit

Shropshire Council is providing the opportunity to delay payment of Council Tax until June 1st, as well as payment support both for paying Council
Tax and rent payment through housing benefit. Click here or email for more details. 

Severn Trent Water is offering support for vulnerable customers and those who might be facing difficulties with their bills. Further information is available here, or call 0345 7500 500.

Most electricity companies are also offering support – click here for more information

Many mobile phone operators are providing packages of support and additional free calls and data. Find out more here.

All major banks are offering Mortgage Payment Holidays, allowing you an opportunity to defer mortgage payments for three months, but don’t just stop paying, you must agree it with them first. Many banks are offering similar options on other loans and overdrafts, as too are many car finance companies and some credit card companies. Some useful information is available here.

If you are paying rent, your landlord cannot evict you for three months under government guidelines. Further information is available here.

The July tax payments for the self-employed have been deferred until January 2021 and those earning less than £50,000 will be able to apply for support grants in May. Further details are available here. 

The government is also providing support for small businesses. For more information click here.  

Debt advice

Step change – or call 0800 138 1111  Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm 

Citizen advice – or call 0344 499 1100 (Shropshire) or 0344 411 1444 (national)


Local covid 19 mutual aid groups in towns & villages and Shropshire Council’s Community Reassurance teams are able to support people who are self isolating to collect prescriptions and collect shopping. Local parish councils & doctors’ surgeries should have information on the local support in your area, or visit  or

If you have financial difficulty getting food directly as a result of Covid 19, or you are  self isolating and there is no local support to enable you to get food, then call the Council’s Coronavirus helpline on 0345 678 9028 where they will be able to let you know what support is available. Council food parcels may be available to those who meet their criteria.

If you need food due to general lack of funds, call the Council Welfare Support Team on 0345 678 9078 – they can refer to a food bank as appropriate.                     

Food banks

There are a number of food banks across Shropshire and full details about where they are and how to get a referral is available here

Food delivery

Many small shops & some supermarkets are offering free shopping delivery if you are vulnerable & self isolating, so check with your local shops.

Morrison’s  is offering a new food delivery service for people who are vulnerable and self isolating. Call 0345 611 6111 and select option 5 to place an order or visit You must be within 10 miles of a store.  No cash payments are being taken and they are only accepting contactless or if necessary chip and pin at the door. 

Co-op Midcounties is also offering a home-delivery service for the most vulnerable in the community. Call 0800 435 902, visit or contact your local co-op store for more information

Other shops and supermarkets offer delivery via internet shopping and are prioritising the most vulnerable. You may have to pay for delivery, so check on-line what services and support your favourite stores are offering.

Domestic abuse

If you are in immediate danger, call 999 and ask for the police  

If you are in danger and unable to talk on the phone, dial 999 and if calling from a mobile then when prompted press 55, this will transfer your call to the police.  

If you call 999 from a landline and only background noise can be heard and BT operators cannot decide whether an emergency service is needed, then you will be connected to a police call handler.  

You can contact the Shropshire Domestic Abuse Service on 0300 303 1191 or email

The National Domestic Abuse Helpline is available 24 hours a day on 0808 2000 247. Its website also provides guidance and support for potential victims, as well as those who are worried about friends and loved ones. It also has a form through which you can book a safe time for a call from the team.

Looking after your mental health

Shropshire Mind run a number of services and can be contacted on 01743 368647.

If you need support outside of office hours or are in crisis, please contact the Access team for Shropshire on 0300 124 0365. 

FutureLearn have a new courses which explores the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on wellbeing and mental health at an individual, group and societal level. You can join the course for free here

Samaritans run a free helpline 24 hours a day helpline on 116 123  

Calm (Campaign Against Living Miserably) runs a free helpline on 0800 58 58 58 and webchat 5pm-midnight 365 days per year. Other support is available on its website.

NHS every mind matters provides a variety of tips for reducing anxiety and keeping mentally healthy

A list of NHS approved helplines for people to call can be foundhere

Other support

Age UK offer a free helpline on 0800 678 1602 for older people, their families and carers.

Omega is an end of life charity working to raise standards in end of life care by supporting caregivers looking after someone with a terminal illness, people who are themselves end of life, and those who have been bereaved. They can be contacted on 01743 245088. Services include a telephone befriending service and a pen pal letter writing service.

Information for veterans is available here

Community & Care Co-ordinators at Doctors’ Surgeries

Most doctors’ surgeries in Shropshire have a Community & Care Co-ordinator who works in a non-medical capacity to signpost people to support & information to help them live as well as possible and to help them stay connected within their local community. Contact your doctors’ surgery for more information.

Thanks to Helen who provided much of this information, but please note that this information is provided to the best of our knowledge and was compiled in April 2020. If you find any broken links or think we should add any other resources please contact us using the tab at the top of the page.